Monday, November 07, 2005

Error Reporting

Error Reporting

It seems a good idea to help Microsoft reporting the error that we are getting in the daily use of our devices with Windows Mobile 5 but… That slows down our devices up to the point that it’s almost impossible to use them. And this issue is currently worse due to the fact that many programs have not been converted or properly tested in this new OS.

So… If you want your Pocket PC running faster just disable this feature going to Start/Settings/System/Error Reporting/Disable and pressing OK. I did it as soon as I got my x51v and believe me; my device is running a lot better.

1 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger ctitanic said...

If you are seeing the Windows Error Reporting dialog that means a program has crashed. The Windows Error Reporting feature is hooked into the exception processing mechanism of the OS (only triggered when an unhandled 2nd chance exception is caught) and so if you are not seeing the dialog, this feature does not affect the performance of your device.


I understand that. But it takes a long time since the moment that the program crashed to the moment when you get the first screen of Doctor Watson. During that time you don't know what is happening and you don't have control of your Pocket PC. I have soft reseted the device a lot of time to save time.

In another hand, could not be that a program triggered the mechanism but did not fully crashed?

In my first week of using WM5 I tested a lot of programs and I found a lot of them no compatible with this new OS and the Windows Error Reporting was slowing down the whole process of finding what to install to replace what I was using in previous OS a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home